Friday, June 1, 2012

The Best Defenseman Of My Lifetime.




It takes a big story in the hockey world to put the Stanley Cup Finals on the back page.

Yesterday one of those stories happened.

A day that every Detroit Red Wings fan has been dreading for the last few years finally came when defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom called it a career.

Referred to many as "The Perfect Human" Lidstrom was drafted by Detroit in the 3rd round of the 1989 NHL Draft. He would join the Red Wings in 1991. In his twenty year career he would never miss the Stanley Cup Playoffs. In fact there were only three playoff series in his career where Detroit didn't win a game.

Lidstrom's statement for deciding to retire after 20 years went as followed.

 "At some point in time, it catches up to everyone, it diminishes their ability to perform some things you love and care about passionately. It comes to an end sooner than what you would have liked. The last few years, I waited until after the season was over to assess my ability to play another year. I need to let a few weeks go by to get a reading on my body’s ability to recover from the grind of an NHL season. Sadly, this year it’s painfully obvious to me that my strength and energy levels are not rebounding enough for me to continue to play. My drive and motivation are not where they need to be to play at this level. That’s why I feel like it’s time to retire." 

As for his career Lidstrom retires with Seven Norris Trophies, Four Stanley Cups, One Conn Smythe Award and an Olympic Gold Medal. He is a lock for the Hockey Hall Of Fame three years from now.

When asked about my favorite memory of Lidstrom the first thing that always comes to mind is the goal he scored in game four of the 1997 Stanley Cup Finals.


 

That goal gave the Red Wings a 1-0 lead. Detroit would never trail in the game as they went on to win their first Stanley Cup in 42 years.

The other memory of Lidstrom that would stand out in my mind is in 2008. In a salary cap era where many thought Detroit would be at a disadvantage, the Red Wings defeated Pittsburgh in six games to win their fourth Stanley Cup in 11 years. Lidstrom was the captain of that team and would become the first European player to captain his team to a Stanley Cup.

A friend asked me yesterday how are the Red Wings going to replace Lidstrom. My answer was they aren't. He was the best in the world at what he did. I have said for the last few years if I could clone one athlete it would be Nicklas Lidstrom.

As to where he ranks among the great defenseman in our game it depends who you ask.

Most people in the hockey world who I respect say Bobby Orr is the greatest defenseman of all time. Having never seen Orr play I won't say they are wrong.

I did have the privilege of watch Lidstrom play for 20 years. To me he is the greatest defenseman in my lifetime and I have a hard time thinking I will see anyone as good or better than him again as long as I watch hockey.

As a long time Red Wings fan all I can say is thank you number five. It was a pleasure watching you play.

No comments:

Post a Comment