Sunday, May 16, 2010

Conference Finals Preview

We are down to the Final Four in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. In the Western Conference things have played the way most people thought it would with top seeded San Jose facing the number two seed Chicago Blackhawks. In the Eastern Conference not so much as the number seven seed Philadelphia gets ready to host the number eight seed Montreal.

So who do I like to play for the cup? Let's break it down starting in the Western Conference


Chicago vs. San Jose:

If you look at the talent on both of these rosters you could make a case that this is the real Stanley Cup Finals.

The Sharks are led by their top line of Patrick Marleau, Joe Thornton & Dany Heatley. Chicago counters with their top line of Jonathan Toews, Patrick Sharp & Marian Hossa.

Both teams have great 2nd lines also. San Jose led by Joe Pavelski, Chicago led by Patrick Kane. After that things change depth wise for both teams. Chicago's 3rd line is capable of scoring while San Jose's 3rd line is more of a checking line

On defense the Sharks are led by Rob Blake & Dan Boyle, both of whom have their name on the Stanley Cup. Chicago's defense is led by Duncan Keith & Brent Seabrook, who a lot of people think it's only a matter of time before their name is on the cup.

In goal, Evgeni Nabokov has been able to overcome his playoff demons so far leading the Sharks to their 1st conference finals appearance since 2004. Antti Niemi has managed to solidify what was thought to be a shaky goaltending situation for Chicago, leading the Blackhawks to their 2nd conference finals appearance in a row.

So who do I like in this one? Honestly these teams are pretty equal talent wise. ESPN's Pierre LeBrun said you could flip a coin if you wanted to pick a winner. Well you people come here demanding I pick a winner and that's what I am going to do.

After watching San Jose this post-season I still don't trust them. Like I have stated earlier Nabokov usually gets outplayed in the post-season. It's going to take one more series to convince me that he can lead the Sharks to the cup. Unfortunately I don't think they will get that chance

Chicago in seven games.

Montreal vs. Philadelphia:

This may be the most unlikely conference finals match-up of all time considering that both teams didn't know they were in the playoffs until the final weekend.

The Flyers defeated a New Jersey team they had won five of six from in the regular season. The Flyers rallied from a three games to none deficit to win their series over the Bruins four games to three. Philly became the 3rd team in NHL history to accomplish this feat.

Montreal's road to the conference finals has been just as dramatic. The Canadiens rallied from a three games to one deficit to defeat the Washington capitals four games to three. The then rallied from a three games to two deficit to defeat the defending Stanley Cup champion Pittsburgh Penguins in seven games.

So who do I like in this one? Anyone who knows me knows how I feel about Philadelphia. Most people may not know this but I have a soft spot in my heart for Montreal. My mom's side of my family came from the province of Quebec and my dad's best friend growing up is the biggest Canadiens fan I know.

So for sentimental reasons I am cheering for Montreal to not only win this series but to also win the Cup. Do I think Montreal will win this series? I do for two reasons. One, Montreal has better scoring forwards than Boston does. They can match Philly's depth at forward. Two, I like Jaroslav Halak in goal better than Michael Leighton.

Montreal in six games.

So there you have it, I am picking a Chicago vs Montreal final. The 1st round starts this afternoon with Chicago vs. San Jose on NBC at 2 PM and Montreal vs. Philadelphia at 6 PM on Versus.

Thanks for reading & enjoy the hockey.


No comments:

Post a Comment