Thursday, May 27, 2010

Pros & Cons: Philadelphia Flyers

In yesterday's column I went over the Pro's & Con's of cheering the Chicago Blackhawks in the Stanley Cup Finals. In today's column I want to write the Pro's & Con's of cheering for the Philadelphia Flyers.

Yes, I know what you are all thinking. Craig, you hate the Flyers with a passion. How can you find anything positive to write about them?

To that I say you are correct, I'm not a fan of the Flyers. I make no secret about that. But as a hockey fan they have been a remarkable story this post-season and there are some positives. To prove that to you I'll start with the pros.

Pro's:

Resiliency: They were in disarray when they fired their coach in December. They had to win a shootout to qualify for the playoffs. They rallied from a three games to none deficit to win a series. It seems like nothing fazes this hockey club. They have overcome every challenge they have faced this season. This will be their toughest test of the season.

Michael Leighton: He may be the poster boy for their resiliency. He was claimed off of waivers back in December when Philly was ravaged by injuries in net. He took over in goal and led the Flyers to a 16-5-2 record before getting hurt near the end of the regular season.

Leighton recovered from his ankle injury to back up Brian Boucher before Boucher himself was injured in Game five against Boston. Leighton came in to shut out the Bruins in Game five and hold them scoreless for 59 minutes in Game six. He also shut out Montreal three times in the Conference Finals helping Philadelphia win the Prince of Wales trophy. What he has done considering where he came from is impressive

Mike Richards: He might be the best penalty killer in the NHL right now. He always seems like he is in the right place at the right time. If he wasn't the captain of the Flyers he would be one of my favorite players in the league.

Jeff Carter: If I had to pick one player on this team to cheer for it's Jeff Carter. I just love the way he plays the game. If he can stay healthy he could be one of the best players in the NHL for years to come. With their salary cap issues coming up I'll be interested if they choose to keep Carter.

Paul Holmgren: Minnesotans tend to like their own and the general manager of the Flyers is a St. Paul native. Plus he did coach the Whale before they moved to Carolina so that has to count for something.

Bill Clement: Ok, he hasn't played for Philly since the 70's but he is a commentator on the TV broadcast and I think he is one of the best analyst in the game today. It's a shame he isn't paired with Mike Emrick.

Those are the Pro's I could come up with now let's get to the Con's

Chris Pronger: He is a beast on the blue line but there is just something about him that makes him unlikeable. I haven't been a fan since he forced a trade out of Edmonton back in 2006. He would be my least favorite player if it wasn't for....

Dan Carcillo: From his cheesy mustache to his toothless grin I just don't like him. Every team needs a pest and Carcillo fits that role well on this team. However he is always good for one stupid action that cost his team a win.

Scott Hartnell: He's another one I don't like. With his goofy long hair he looks like a Muppet.

Ron Hextall: My dislike for the Flyers started when Ron Hextall went after Chris Chelios in the closing minutes of Game six of the Wales Conference back in 89. You can say what you want about Chelios but the loss of composure by Hextall influenced how I have felt about Philadelphia. Plus he was a sieve in net during his final stint with the Flyers.

Eric Lindros: Hands down the most overrated hockey player I have ever seen in my life. For all the hype he brought with him when he came into the league he only managed to be a decent NHL player. His only Hart Trophy came in a 48 game season plus he could never stay healthy. He had the tools to be a dominant center but failed to use them.

Bobby Clarke: He may have been a great hockey player but I have talked to a number of people who say he is not a good human being. Any person that fires a coach because he has cancer and then blames the coach for getting cancer is probably not a good person. Every time I think of him I think of a male body part.

Bright Orange Jerseys: Because of expansion I can't say they have the worst jerseys in the league but it's up there. When they wear their orange jerseys they look like pumpkins skating on ice.

Their fans: Every team has a group of rowdy fans but in Philly they wear it like it's a badge of honor. They are rude, they are crass, they are classless. When Philly played here in Minnesota back in February I know of at least two Flyer fans who were kicked out of the game and taken to detox. It may happen when other teams are here but I always hear about it when Philly is in town.

Well those are the Pro's & Con's I could come up with. Judging by my columns you probably know which way I am leaning in the Finals but I owe you a prediction and I plan on having that done later tonight.

Anyway, if there is anything I missed or you want to share with me feel free to let me know. Until then thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment